Evacuate: Get Your Go Bag
Prepare to Evacuate: Week 21
Pulling it all together: Create a Go Bag
In previous months we pulled together everything we need to be safe in our car and in our home should we get trapped in bad weather conditions. Now we’re going to look at what you will need with you if you are going to evacuate, which you might need to do if your home is:
- Badly damaged in a storm
- Destroyed in a tornado
- Underwater in a flood
You might need to relocate for health and safety if your home has lost power during a heatwave, or if your community is threatened by a gas leak or a toxic leak from a train derailment (things like this really can happen).
Think of It Like Camping
Think about what you would need if you were going to a cabin for a week. What will you need if you are living in a government shelter? What will help you stay warm, clean, clothed, and comfortable? And remember to consider how you will carry these things – a bag, a backpack?
Here are some things you will need in your go-bag (you’ve already done the work, now just get all your stuff in one place!):
- 3 days worth of food and a plate, cup, and silverware to eat with. You may also need a can opener and if you have a camping cook stove, you may want to bring that too. (It depends how you are traveling how much you can bring with you.)
- Water – If 3 gallons of water is too daunting for space and weight (24 lbs!), store a bottle of water plus a filtration straw
- 3 days worth of clothing in ziplock bags to keep them dry
- Your important documents in the ziplock bag
- Your emergency contact sheet to connect with friends and family
- Personal care supplies – toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, nail clipper.
- Your comfort kit
- Your first aid kit or a smaller version of it, with your essential medications
- Backup batteries and maybe a solar battery charger
- Earplugs – if you are staying in a noisy shelter you’ll want those!
- Sleeping bag or blanket
- Big plastic trashbags can keep the rain off
- If you have camping gear – a tent, lantern, etc., – you may want to bring that
That’s It! You’ve got your go-kit all put together.