Join a Similar Community-Based Group
Join a Sustainability Group
There are many ways to arrive at the same goal. If there isn’t a Transition group near you, there may be another citizen-led sustgainability group working on similar projects. They may have different ways of working and a somewhat different focus, but check them out! You will find opportunities to work with your neighbors and impact your local community. Here are a few groups we know about:
- Bloomington Sustainability Coalition: With a goal to collaborate with and encourage local residents, businesses, organizations, and governments to work together to help build a more sustainable Bloomington, this group focuses its activities on education and advocacy.
- Citizens for Sustainability (St. Anthony Village): Members promote sustainability initiatives in St. Anthony Village and surrounding communities while actively participating in initiatives that bring about positive changes through community collaborations.
- Heights Next (Columbia Heights): A sustainable community movement in Columbia Heights, MN. Public events introduce neighbors, network volunteers, and engage civic leaders. Working across organizations, HeightsNEXT promotes green technology, resilience, sustainability, justice, and equality.
- Lakeville Friends of the Environment doesn’t have a website but you can follow their activities on their Facebook page. The group is hosting a resource fair in 2020.
- Mahtomedi Area Green Initiative is a grassroots organization made up of residents who care about the environment. It operates in communities east and north of St. Paul — Dellwood, Grant, Hugo, Lake Elmo, Mahtomedi, Oakdale, Pine Springs, White Bear Lake and Willernie.
- Sustain St. Paul is a sustainability advocacy organization that previously operated in Highland Park and is now expanding its reach.
- Sustainable Stillwater has added momentum to sustainability initiatives already in Stillwater, such as the downtown business waste management program S.E.E.D., promotion of energy management for carbon reduction, Safe Routes to School, and the adoption by Stillwater of the GreenStep Cities plan.
This is not an exhaustive list. If you would like your community-based group added here, contact Transition Twin Cities.